Taxes and customs duties –
A central topic of growing importance
The automotive industry faces global competition. Competitive general taxation conditions are a major requirement for Germany to maintain and increase its attractiveness as an industrial location. The VDA works to promote a growth-enhancing tax policy with an international orientation:
- preventing tax increases and risks of double taxation,
- introducing tax measures to support innovations and new technologies such as electric mobility,
- improving overall taxation conditions for research and development,
- simplifying taxes and increasing both planning security and legal security.
Import duties and excise taxes
Import duties, general conditions for foreign trade, and excise taxes also play a key role for the automotive industry as Germany’s most important exporting sector. In the interest of competitive foreign trade, the VDA backs simple rules for import duties and exports, and the removal of customs tariff barriers, especially in the following areas:
- preferential rules of origin in the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) between the EU and the USA,
- modernisation of the Union Customs Code (UCC),
- export control (as it effects goods produced by the automotive industry),
- energy taxes.
- VDA’s Tax Committee
- VDA’s Committee for Import and Excise Duties
- Various working groups
Note: Information about the individual topics in the field of taxes and import duties can be found under “Topics/Economic Policy and Infrastructure/Taxes and Import Duties”.