Press Releases

China and USA driving growth

Berlin, 16 December 2014

Western European passenger car market shows slight rise

In November the three major automotive markets all expanded again, although at different speeds: China increased by 8 per cent and the USA by 4 per cent, while Western Europe recorded growth of only 1 per cent. Sales of new cars decreased in Brazil, Russia and Japan. By contrast, India achieved market growth of 5 per cent.

New registrations of passenger cars in Western Europe showed a slight November rise of one per cent, to 919,200 units. The United Kingdom is still growing dynamically, at 8 per cent. In Spain the extended bonus programme boosted market growth (+17 per cent). Demand for passenger cars increased by 5 per cent in Italy, but fell in France (-3 per cent) and Germany (-2 per cent). This year so far, new passenger car registrations in Western Europe have totalled around 11.2 million units, i.e. are nearly 5 per cent up on the same period last year.

In the new EU Member States new car registrations climbed by a good 5 per cent in November to 70,200 new cars. Double-digit growth was seen on the markets in Estonia (+26 per cent), Hungary (+19 per cent), Latvia (+13 per cent), the Czech Republic (+11 per cent) and Cyprus (+11 per cent). Poland, the largest individual market, increased by 1 per cent. Total year-to-date demand in the new EU countries shows a rise of almost 15 per cent to 819,400 units.

The US market for light vehicles (passenger cars and light trucks) grew by a good 4 per cent last month to about 1.3 million units. Continuing falls in the price of petrol and the rising employment figures triggered the best November result for 13 years.

In the first eleven months of this year, the light vehicle market expanded by over 5 per cent to a good 14.9 million. The market growth up to November was mainly due to the light truck segment, which increased by nearly 10 per cent to 7.9 million units, whereas car sales recorded slender growth of nearly 1 per cent, to just over 7 million. The proportion of passenger cars on the overall light vehicle market came to 47 per cent in the first eleven months. A similar picture emerges for November: light truck sales rose by a good 9 per cent to 717,100 new vehicles; while the passenger car market actually contracted by almost 1 per cent (576,700 units).

The Chinese passenger car market continued its positive development in November. With around 1.7 million new vehicles sold, its growth amounted to nearly 8 per cent. The total for the first eleven months of 2014 exceeded the previous year’s result by almost 12 per cent as sales of new vehicles reached a volume of 16.4 million units.

In Japan, on the other hand, demand for passenger cars fell by just over 10 per cent in November, coming to 339,800 new vehicles. However, the year-to-date market volume was still a good 3 per cent more than in the same period last year, because sales rose in the first quarter in anticipation of the VAT increase this April.

In November the passenger car market in India grew by a good 5 per cent, reaching 212,400 units. From January to November sales totalled almost 2.4 million vehicles, which nearly equalled last year’s level.

In Russia the light vehicle market ended November with a slight decrease. At 229,400 vehicles, the sales volume remained more than 1 per cent below the previous year’s result. Only at the beginning of December did Moscow announce that the scrapping bonus, due to finish at the end of 2014, would be extended by one year. So the November figures were still influenced by the assumption that the bonus scheme was about to end. This year so far, sales of new light vehicles have dropped to 2.2 million units – down by almost 12 per cent.

In Brazil the market continued to contract, although not as quite rapidly as before. New registrations of light vehicles fell by nearly 3 per cent to 280,200 units. In the first eleven months of 2014 around 3 million vehicles were newly registered (-8 per cent).

New Passenger Car Registrations/Sales

  November 2014 January - November 2014
  Units Change 14/13 in % Units Change 14/13 in %
Europe (EU28+EFTA)* 989.500 1,2 12.010.700 5,5
European Union (EU-28)* 953.900 1,4 11.601.000 5,7
W. Europe (EU15+EFTA) 919.200 0,9 11.191.400 4,9
New EU Countries (EU13)* 70.200 5,5 819.400 14,8
Russia** 229.400 -1,1 2.220.800 -11,6
USA** 1.293.900 4,5 14.936.700 5,3
Japan 339.800 -10,2 4.339.200 3,2
Brazil** 280.200 -2,9 2.979.400 -8,1
India 212.400 5,4 2.361.500 -0,3
China 1.689.700 7,7 16.400.000 11,9
*without Malta
**Light Vehicles
Eckehart Rotter
Eckehart Rotter Head of Department Press

Tel: +49 30 897842-120 Fax: +49 30 897842-603
Nach oben springen