Press Releases

German passenger car market shows strong growth in February

Berlin, 02 March 2018

US light vehicle market: German manufacturers buck the trend and expand

In February 2018, new registrations of passenger cars in Germany rose by 7 percent to 261,700 units. In the first two months of this year new passenger car registrations climbed by 10 percent to a total of 531,100 units. That means more cars were sold during the first two months of 2018 than in the same period of any year since 1999.

Orders arriving from Germany narrowly failed to match last year’s February result (-2 percent). However, a two-month comparison combining January and February reveals a different picture. In all, domestic customers have ordered a good 3 percent more new passenger cars so far this year. Orders from foreign customers in February showed a year-on-year rise of over 5 percent. In the first two months, 4 percent more orders arrived from other countries.

The growth in foreign incoming orders is not yet reflected in exports. Last month 345,800 brand new passenger cars were supplied to customers all over the world, which was 8 percent down on 2017. This year so far, 704,300 vehicles (-3 percent) have gone to customers abroad. Domestic production followed suit: the German car makers built 451,900 cars in February (-7 percent), and in the first two months of this year they produced 905,600 units (-4 percent).

In the US, German OEMs managed to buck the trend of a shrinking overall market (-2 percent) and increase their sales. Last month they sold 101,000 light vehicles, a rise of 7 percent. In January and February, the German brands added 5 percent to their 2016 result, while the market as a whole contracted slightly (-1 percent).

  February 2018 January - February 2018
Passenger cars *) Volume Change
18/17 in %
Volume Change
18/17 in %
New registrations 261,700 7 531,100 10
  of which
    German makes incl. group makes 180,600 7 370,200 8
    Foreign makes 81,100 8 161,000 13
Export 345,800 -8 704,300 -3
Production 451,900 -7 905,600 -4
*) Estimate
Eckehart Rotter
Eckehart Rotter Head of Department Press

Tel: +49 30 897842-120 Fax: +49 30 897842-603
Nach oben springen