Facts and Figures

Facts and Figures - Overview

Overall, the automotive industry in Germany can look back on a successful 2017. It managed to increase its turnover to 422.8 billion euros, reaching a new record level in the process.

2017 turnover: automotive industry defies adverse conditions and sets new turnover record

Facing difficult background conditions associated with diesel vehicles and Brexit, the automotive industry in Germany managed to maintain its good position and return a welcome result for 2017. The facilities earned 422.8 billion euros in the past calendar year and pushed their turnover up by more than 4 percent – a new record. Particularly strong growth was seen in export earnings (+6 percent). They reached a value of 271.7 billion euros. Growth in turnover with the euro zone was especially dynamic (+9 percent), boosted by the market trends in Europe. Turnover with domestic customers also increased (+2 percent) and reached 151.0 billion euros.

German Motor manufacturers: German cars remain popular on international markets

Makers of motor vehicles and engines increased their earnings by a strong 5 percent in 2017 to a total of 331.3 billion euros. In Germany they turned over 97.2 billion euros (+1 percent). Their export earnings amounted to 234.2 billion euros, which was a year-on-year rise of 6 percent. This indicates that passenger cars “Made in Germany” still enjoy huge popularity on international markets. Business outside the euro zone made up the largest proportion, with 164.5 billion euros and growth of 4 percent. And last year’s turnover in the euro zone demonstrated actually showed double-digit growth and reached 69.6 billion euros (+10 percent).

Suppliers come close to the 80 billion mark

In 2017 the automotive suppliers pushed up their turnover by a good 4 percent. They earned 79.6 billion euros. Business with foreign customers showed especially keen growth (+7 percent). Export earnings came to 31.6 billion euros, but domestic turnover also increased (+3 percent) and reached a value of 48.0 billion euros. Among the suppliers, the producers of electric and electronic motor vehicle equipment increased their turnover from the previous year by a massive 21 percent (9.8 billion euros). The manufacturers of other parts and accessories for motor vehicles earned 69.9 billion euros and accounted for the lion’s share of the motor-vehicle supply industry (+2 percent).

Level of employment

In 2017, the German automotive sector once again increased its regular workforce and thus made an important contribution to the excellent labor market situation and to prosperity in Germany. The annual average came to 820,200 employees in the plants of makers of motor vehicles and vehicle parts. That represented growth of a good 1 percent, or 11,700 jobs. Employment thus rose for the seventh year in succession and reached the highest level since 1991. The increase amounts to 118,600 new jobs compared with 2010. The maximum level during 2017 occurred in September, at 827,400 employees.

Last year, expansion was once again recorded in all three manufacturer groups. The largest manufacturer group as measured by the number of employees – that is, the makers of motor vehicles and engines (OEMs) – increased their workforce by 2 percent, or 8,600 employees, to 479,800. The suppliers had a combined regular workforce of 305,200 at their plants in Germany – a rise of 1 percent, or 2,500 employees. The makers of chassis, trailers and bodies totaled 35,200 employees, which was the highest level since 2004. This also meant that they exceeded their 2016 level by 2 percent, or 600 employees.

Eckehart Rotter
Eckehart Rotter Head of Department Press

Tel: +49 30 897842-120 Fax: +49 30 897842-603
Nach oben springen